Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Happy Birthday Memaw!

Today is my Memaw's Birthday.

She was an amazing woman that I strive to be more like every day! She is my dad's mother who was taken from us all too soon in 2004. My dad's parents were divorced so all of my childhood I remember splitting time between all the grandparents for Holidays. She only lived about an hour from us but we didn't see her near enough. We were always so busy with sports but you should never be to busy to visit family. She would come to my games when she could. And I always loved when she and my papa danny (her husband) would make it. I wish she knew how much I enjoyed her coming to watch.

If I could turn out to be 1/4 of the cook she was I would be proud. She made the best Mac & Cheese, Chocolate pie for my daddy, Apple pie for my uncle and SO much more. I always loved going to her house because I knew I would get to eat Vanilla Ice cream with enless amounts of Chocolate syrup on it & as many bowls as I wanted.

When she had my dad she lost all of her hair and it never came back. So she wore a wig all the time and it was always just perfect. One time my friend Whitney went with me to her house and saw her maican heads with the wigs and almost had a stroke. She had never seen those before so I had to explain. It was so funny! She had to have a ring on each finger and her nails painted and long (fake ones).

Some of my GREATEST childhood memories happened at her house. My cousins, sister and I always had so much fun playing at her house. The infamous yearly christmas pictures, chasing chickens and pretty much doing what ever we wanted at all times. I don't know that she EVER told us no.

She was diagnosed with diabetic ulcers on her legs before Mother's day the year she passed away. I saw her at my parents house for mothers day and she had bandages on her ankles where the ulcers were. I didn't think any thing of them really she was up walking around and acting like her normal self. She was a little swollen from the steroids they had her on. We had a great day and she was sure to tell me how proud she was of me for almost being done with my first year in college. If she only knew what really went on that year she might have spanked my butt! Actually she wouldn't have becasue she NEVER spanked us grandkids. We said our goodbyes and little did I know that was the second to last time I would see her.

I remember dad telling me that the ulcers weren't healing and she was having home health come change the bandages. Then one day I got a call just after I had moved home for the summer and mom said "Heather meet us at the hospital they don't think your grandmother is going to make it." The infection from the wounds got in her blood and they said there was nothing they could do as much as I can remember. My Memaw didn't look like her self at all she was swollen and sedated. Sometimes I wish I hadn't seen her like that but then I know I would be sad I didn't get to say goodbye.

Now as a nurse I know EVERYTHING about what happened to her was wrong and could have been prevented. It makes me sick to think that she should still be here with us. Then I think god must have needed her up in heaven and if he didn't take her this way then she may have gone another way. I think what if we would have stepped in earlier...what if what if what if. She was such a healthy lady and not a day goes by that I don't think of her.

What I woulnd't give for her to be here with us. To celebrate with my cousins, sister and I in all that we have done. And meet our children and spoil them like she did us. I know she watches down on us each and every day. One day I hope to have a little girl (hubby says no but we haven't decided for sure) so that I can name her after my Memaw. Happy Birthday I love you so much and miss you more than you will ever know!

Happy Wednesday Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Yep, baby up!! mainly so I can go shopping!! :) xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete